Wednesday, September 06, 2006

New York: 4,349; Bridget: 1

New York is a is a great city. But if I never moved here I could have continued my blissful awe of Manhattan from afar. Maybe it would have been better that way.

There's a lot of dog shit on the sidewalks here.

Just think, there's probably more millionaires per square foot of this island, yet it's covered in poo.

I can still enter the blissful awe whenever I watch "Sex and the City" or movies set in New York, but I don't feel like that place and the place I live are the same. I admit: I was hoping that I'd be living it up Carrie Bradshaw style, typing whitty observations on my laptop, buying shoes, attending exclusive parties, dating attractive men and wearing really ridiculously good looking, or just ridiculous (almost anything goes here) outfits.

But living in New York seems to be more about living like Frugal Fannie than Carrie Bradshaw. I've only bought four pairs of shoes since January, an all-time low this late in the year. When I look in the mirror each morning, I feel like the girl in "The Devil Wears Prada," just not so skinny. And my dating life has been, er, more than frugal.

However! My job has proved to just a little bit cool. And today I conquered my nemsis, the cute, fashionably dressed, PR party-girl.

The event: A party for Esquire Magazine.

The scene: The Garden of Ono at Hotel Gansevoort in the Meatpacking district.

The intimidation factor: A red carpet.

The overreaction: It was a small and cheesey red carpet.

The PR girl: fake smile, fake tan, fake blonde and more notably clipboard, pen, The List, and the power to say, "No, you are not on The List."

Me: Dressed in black (but different shades) and really incredibly cool Italian punk rocker shoes. (Can you see them from up there?)

PRG: "Who's next?"

I walked up.

PRG: "You're with them?" Pointing to a group of men.

ME: "No. Bridget Eldridge."

She scans. She scans.

PRG: "Whose list are you on?"

They confirmed! They confirmed! Yet, I knew this was going to happen.

ME: "Er, what?"

The pen stops.

PRG: "Oh ok. And you?" Pointing to Annie.

ME: "She's with me!"

Triumph!

PRG unhooked the ropes and let us through.

I turned to Annie: "Wow, that felt really good!" She nodded.

As I turned to check out the scene I overheard a petite seeminly true blonde ask a photographer, "Do you date models?"

"No."

Though I thought the night couldn't get any better, I met the most wonderful and attractive man who is taking me out to dinner on Friday, making my night complete. OK not that good, but it was an open vodka bar.

Sometimes, sometimes this city lives to its fantasy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Johnny Substitute said...

Your blog is hysterical, Bridget. Have fun in the city! Call when you want to chill in the second coolest city: McLean. :P

12:09 AM  
Blogger Johnny Substitute said...

Haha Yes, I am the same person. Not much has changed regarding my work ethic. Now, I rob public schools blind. If you ever need office supplies, you know people who know people. :)

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home