Friday, July 21, 2006

Update: Four Stitches and an Estimated $1200 Poorer

Yesterday I got four stitches out of my finger.



Ten days ago I found out the harddrive of my computer had crashed. (Yes, this is related...) And the dude at the Apple store, was NOT very sympathetic about it. He was so nonchalant that I thought he was joking. He was not.

I was pretty upset with myself for letting this happen considering that:
a) My dad works with computers for a living and every Saturday during my childhood the computer was OFF LIMITS for several hours (It was the 90s, people!) while it was being BACKED UP.
b) I spilled water on my computer in the middle of senior year and was without a computer for three weeks, after I dried it out and turned it on, which lasted a good 15 minutes before it short circuited. So I had already gone through the pain of losing all the digital images of my college years! However! They were saved! It was only the motherboard. This time the Powerbook was not so lucky.
c) This was Sayonara! to $300, $336.73 to be precise. Which I could doublely not afford because I had joined a gym that I can't afford four days earlier, taking $300 out of my Savings account, that I was going to put back in when I got paid, but it went to Mikey at Mikey's HookUp in Brooklyn that nonchalant Apple guy directed me to for repairs.

So what I do?

I CLEAN! DAMNIT.

I was going to clean until I became a responsible adult and that meant scraping the purple nail polish that I spilled when I broke a bottle three months ago off the bathroom floor. And once I was down there...yikes!...the nail polish was on the toliet bowl, and on the wall, and on the pipes.

And oh wow! What's that there behind the toliet? A BIG PIECE OF GLASS COVERED IN PURPLE POLISH AND HAS DRIED TO THE FLOOR?

WHY DON'T I PULL ON IT UNTIL I SLICE OPEN MY FINGER?!?!

And then I went into HYSTERICS.

FlynnFact: Bridget has major blood curdling screams. In fourth grade she tripped and fell outside her mom's preschool classroom and the Pre-K teacher thought she had been hit by a car.



So hysterics....and here's why I am really proud of myself: I wasn't crying and freaking out because of the HEART BEAT in my finger. I was crying and freaking out because I had FAILED as a responsible adult. (And no one was answering their phone to come save me.)

So when Lizzie showed up in the ER, she found this to be quite humorous.

I'm also blamming this whole incident on my recent acquisition of health insurance and the FlynnFact that I like use, open, put on or wear whatever new thing I get, the second I get it.



But seriously, it could have been worse as I almost had health insurance.

But still, I shouldn't have boasted to everyone that "I can now get hit by a cab!"

Or maybe I should just learn my lesson and NOT take unclaimed Sunday papers. Because, maybe, that was really the cause of my hospital visit until 4 am.

And let me just say, there are some real characters hanging around New York City ER's in the middle of the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home