Wednesday, May 17, 2006

So You Think New You City is Glamourous?

Do ya? Do ya? Do ya?

I did. Most of the time I try not to. But with so much glamour all around me all the time...

Halt!

Before I go on, I think I should mention that I saw a dead mouse on the street when I was walking to the subway yesterday. I live in a fairly clean party of town, i.e. there is not a lot of trash on the sidewalks, but dog/human pee and poo smears are standard. This was the first rodent I saw outside of the subway (thank god my apartment is vermin-free) and the mouse was gutted. I could see it's muscles and it looked like chicken. I hope the dog enjoyed it.


...sometimes it is hard to forget that it is all a big fat lie. Like the multimillion dollar condominium I temped at on Wall St. The reception area was huge, beautiful and nicely decorated in the let's get a Mac because it's prettier, but let's put Windows on it kind of way. I watched La Dolce Vita on the plasma all day. Waiters brought me fresh OJ and coffee. But when I went in the back to return the glasses I found one small office for four people—cramped quarters to say the least.

That day one of the skinny beautiful women commented that most of the people that walked in didn't look like they had any money. She was right, they weren't carrying $1000 designer handbags, they were wearing tennis shoes, they had frizzy hair. It seems that in New York, those with money keep it in their bank account. Those with a little money flaunt it like Paris Hilton. And the rest of us try to maket ourselves happy by purchasing coffee daily, because hey we can afford THAT!

Ha.

I added it up. $1.25, five days a week, 49 weeks a year (not including vacation and holidays) totals $303.75!

A boss once told me that she never buys coffee because she would rather buy jewelry. I could buy a Diane Von Furstenburg wrap dress if I give up coffee. The $1.25 street vendor coffee...I'm so glad I've kicked my Starbucks habit...$1215!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home