Wednesday, April 12, 2006

I Love Coffee...Just Not When I Make It

Today is the first time I made coffee for an office. Through three internships, a six-week stint in a "real" 9-to-5 job, and four adminstrative temping gigs, I have never made anyone a cup of coffee in an office besides myself.

In this fifth temping experience and first that will last more than two days, I made my first pots of coffee for an office. It is strange that I've been out of college for almost a year and this is the first time I was asked, expected, required to make a pot of coffee as part of my job. It is not that I think making coffee is beneath me--it is definitely not--if there is anything I've learned in the past year it is that a college education gets you in an office, but it doesn't mean that you will be using your brain once you get there, at least not 100 percent of the time. My problem is that whenever I make a pot of coffee, it is always disgusting.

My mother began to teach me the art of brewing the perfect cup when I moved back home after graduation. Not ready to enter the rat race, I signed up for one last summer of jumping in pools fully clothed as a swim coach. The enthusiasm required to entertain 50 seven year-olds at 7 am requires massive amount of caffine from the perfect pot of coffee, thus the coffee brewing quest.

As of yet I have mastered the too strong and the too weak varieties, this morning it was too strong. I winced as someone took a sip of my coffee, he didn't make an ick-face or pour it out, but he couldn't have thought it was good.

It is my hope that I will achieve the perfect balance of grinds and water by the time I am finished with this current gig, which is doubtful--but a girl can dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home